ONE BOOK ONE COMMUNITY SUMMER READING PROGRAM
The chosen book is In the Country We Love by Diane Guerrero. The One Book One Community Program is part of a new diversity initiative titled the “Needham Free Public Forum” with the motto “Exploring diversity to inspire unity.” The initiative was organized by library trustees and staff in response to citizen input offered as part of the library’s most recent long-range planning process.
In the Country We Love is Diane Guerrero’s memoir of her experience when she returned home from school in Boston one day at age 14 to learn that her undocumented parents had been detained and deported. Guerrero is an actress on the hit television show “Orange is the New Black.”
As a co-sponsor, the Council is encouraging everyone to read this book and participate in one of the small-group discussions.
No registration required.
- Monday, August 28, 7:30 p.m., led by Litzy Gastelum and Kim Marie Nichols of The Needham Diversity Initiative, at the Needham Library
- Wednesday, August 30, 7 p.m., led by Reverend Kate Carlisle and Sandra Robinson, Executive Director, Needham Community Council, at the Presbyterian Church
- Thursday, September 14, 7 p.m. led by Trustee Lois Bacon and Simone Scott-Walker of The Friends of the Needham Public Library, at the Library
- Sunday, September 24, 2 p.m., led by Stan Hitron, Board Treasurer of the Library Foundation of Needham, at the Library
- Tuesday, September 26, 7:30 p.m., led by Peg Riley, Needham Community Council-ESL Program, at the Library