English As A Second Language (ESL) Tutoring Program
REGISTER NOW FOR OUR NEXT TUTOR TRAINING
Tuesday, Feb. 26th – Tuesday, March 26th
5 consecutive Tuesday evenings, 6 pm – 9 pm
No experience necessary; No fee; Attendance at all 5 sessions is required
Click here for an online tutor training application
Click here for an online student application
Current Students: Click here for more information
Current Tutors: Click here for more information
The Needham Community Council’s English as a Second Language program provides free individual tutoring and conversation classes for adults who live or work in Needham and want to learn or improve their English language skills. We have more than 100 students and tutors working together!
Our program is for beginner to advanced students who are interested in speaking, understanding, reading and writing English. We will match each student with a trained volunteer tutor to meet once a week for 60 to 90 minutes at a convenient location in Needham. Tutors are available during the day and some evenings and weekends.
The Needham Community Council provides free tutor training for Needham residents. This six week, ten hour class meets one evening each week at our offices and is usually offered twice a year.
HOW TO BECOME AN ESL STUDENT:
- Complete an online ESL student application or come to our offices at 570 Hillside Ave. in Needham to fill out an application
- Attend an ESL Assessment Meeting [assessment meetings last approximately 15 minutes]
• Drop-In Session – No appointment necessary
Mondays, anytime between 2-6 p.m.
Wednesdays, anytime between 10 a.m. – 2 p.m.
• or contact us via email for an assessment appointment at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tutors are usually assigned in the spring and fall of each year
- You and your tutor will meet once a week for one hour. You will decide together on the time and place to meet. We require a nine month commitment from you
- We have many conversation and interest groups that meet each week so that students can practice their English. Students may participate in individual tutoring, conversation classes and interest groups, or any combination
>> Coming soon! link to Conversation/Interest Groups template
HOW TO BECOME AN ESL TUTOR:
- Complete an Online ESL Tutor Application or come to our offices at 570 Hillside Ave in Needham to fill out an application form.
- We will place you on the waitlist for the next available training session. They are usually held twice each year. The six week, ten hour training session meets either Tuesday or Thursday evenings for 2 hours. There is no charge for this training.
- You will be assigned a student upon completion of your training session.
- You and your student will meet once a week for 60 to 90 minutes. You will decide together on the time and place to meet. Most tutoring pairs meet at the Needham Public Library or the Needham Community Council.
- We provide support and materials for students and tutors and host quarterly roundtable sessions on ESL topics.
- A six-month commitment to this program is requested.
- If you have further questions, please call Sandy Robinson at the Needham Community Council 781-444-2415 or email her at email@example.com
Contact us at 781-444-2415 for information about our next Tutor Training.
Resources for Supporting Immigrant Students & Families: We Dream Together
on the Boston Public School website
If you have any questions or need help, please call Sandy Robinson at the Needham Community Council at 781-444-2415 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org